Welcome to our blog Fabulessly Frugal! You too can be FABULOUSLY FRUGAL with out breaking the bank!

WE'VE MOVED! Come on over to FABULESSLYFRUGAL.COM and see our "NEW LOOK! and resubscribe to our new feed!

Newbie? Check out our couponing basics. Come back often to see the latest printable coupons, freebies, coupon tips and frugal living tips! Got something to say? Leave us a comment! Lastly, subscribe via RSS or Email to get the latest updates! We are located in Boise, Idaho, and blog about stores found in the Northwest and Nationally!

Friday, January 9, 2009

Beware of CRAZY Shoppers!

So I have been working out the Albertson's diaper deal this week. I finally had it figured out and went to Albertson's last night. Of course they were all out of the the diapers that were on the deal. I got a bigger pack and went up front to see if it would work with the deal. After talking to the ladies in the front for 25 minutes it did not seem like it would. So they recommended I call in the morning and see if the right package size was back in stock.
This morning I called and they told me that they had just finished stocking the shelves. So I loaded up my children and went to the store. I headed straight for the diaper aisle. As I made my way down the aisle I could see a lady with her cart jam packed full of Pamper's Diapers in the Jumbo Size. The deal diapers! I looked up to see about 6 packs left in the size 3 which is what I needed.
I jokingly asked her if she was going to take all of the diapers.
CRAZY LADY: ya all of the diapers left on the shelf I am saving for my friend.
ME: Really I said, but your friend is not here.
CRAZY LADY: Well she just called me and she is coming.
ME: Well I am sure it wouldn't be a big deal if I just took three.You can have any of those other box packages.
ME: Well those are not part of the deal you know that.
CRAZY LADY: All I know is that my friend told me to come and get these diapers.

I went to reach for the diapers and she flipped. Trying to grab them before I could.
I managed to get two packages off the shelf and the ranting began.

CRAZY LADY: I can't believe you are doing this. I have been here for 1 1/2 hours waiting for these diapers.
ME: I am sorry but you can't just save diapers on the shelf.
CRAZY LADY: Well they reserved all of these diapers for me.
(If they did that they would have been in the back, she was such a liar)
ME: Well I am sure you will be fine you have whole cart full (the lower section and the whole basket). I really just need one more to do the deal. (I was hoping she would see how stupid she was being and give me one package) I guess I was hoping she would come to her senses.
CRAZY LADY: Well I need all these diapers.
ME: Well I need diapers too, (pointing to me infant in the cart.)
CRAZY LADY: I came here last night to get them and they were out.
ME: So did I.

Finally I realized she was not going to relent and I was not about to take any diapers from her cart so I decided I would grab a bag of size 4 off the shelf and move on.

ME: You know if you don't know the deal you are going to have to pay a lot more for those diapers, I will tell you if you just give me a pack of 3's. (I kind of wanted to see if she was lying about her knowledge. You have to buy the diapers in sets of three in different transactions or you will not get you $20 back.)
CRAZY LADY: Oh I know that you have to but them in sets of 3.

I started to make my way down the aisle I had sick feeling in my stomach. I do not like confrontation and it just was icky to me fighting with a grown woman in a grocery store. I turned around and said,

ME: I am sorry I upset you. I really didn't think it would be a big deal.
CRAZY LADY: Well I was just trying to be a good friend and get some diapers for my friend. She has seven kids.
ME: I think there will be plenty of diapers for her.
CRAZY LADY: Well I just needed the size 3. (She had multiple sizes in the cart)
I started to walk away and then decided with such a good deal maybe I should get some size 4. I turn around and she is putting the size 4 in her cart. I watch her for a minute thinking she might be about done b/c her cart will not fit anymore diapers. She starts to walk away and a couple of Albertson's managers come up to her and tell her that the deal does not work at all Albertson's that it is only some stores. That it was not advertised in there add and she begins her rant and I head off.
I debated, are they right about it not working here? I know that it worked yesterday b/c the employee's told me that people did it yesterday in that store. I decided I would try it and if it did not work just return the diapers. Three packages would not be a big deal. I went through the line and presto just like I read.....

Buy three pampers cruisers Jumbo pack size

Diapers 10 (with preferred card)
Diapers 10
Diapers 10

Used 3/$1 coupons and the Albertsons doubler.
Saved $6

Total 25.62

Got $20 back in coupons (vouchers to use at my next albertsons trip on groceries.)

Total cost

$5.62 for 3 packages a diaper.

That is $1.87 per pack or .05 a diaper

So you can see why the lady was so crazy to get diapers but really? Was it worth all of that rude attitude? Was I out of line? What would you have done?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I just came across this blog and read this story. What a freak!!! I wish customer service could have held some diapers for you. I am pretty much not trying to get diapers because I might waste my time. I want them don't get me wrong. I guess that lady doesn't believe in the golden rule! HELLO!! Rude Rude Rude and there's always an excuse and she had one they always do. I admire your courage to speak up and hope she'll realize how she affects others. But honestly that type of person will always be that way. Better luck next time. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I just came across this blog and read this story. What a freak!!! I wish customer service could have held some diapers for you. I am pretty much not trying to get diapers because I might waste my time. I want them don't get me wrong. I guess that lady doesn't believe in the golden rule! HELLO!! Rude Rude Rude and there's always an excuse and she had one they always do. I admire your courage to speak up and hope she'll realize how she affects others. But honestly that type of person will always be that way. Better luck next time. Sorry.

Mama Yo said...

Good heavens, I can't beleive that lady! Hording the diapers like that? And I'm not even sure if that is how you spell "hording" (or hoarding?) because I've never had to type about a person who ho(a)rds. I too hate confrontation, and maybe would have been to chicken and walked away... or, if I was feeling brave enough, I would have gone and found a manager to stop the "excessive quantities" and "saving" for an unknown friend. Wow, I guess the economy is making people exceptionally grouchy!

Amanda said...

Holy cow that is crazy. I can't believe the nerve of that lady to be so unrelenting and unapologetic. I'm left wondering if the other lady was able to get the diapers or not. Uh. Insane.

Melanie said...

WOW - how awful!!! I'm glad you tried to get the diapers, and I'm really proud of you for taking the higher ground. She should be ashamed of herself!!!

Stylin' Binder's said...

Wow monica this is a side i have never seen of you! You go girl! So you need to come over and give me a crasg course 101 coupons shopping.

SarahAnne said...

That is just unreal. I don't know what I would have done in your shoes. I probably would have flipped my lid right back at her. Thanks for your example!

Free Is Fun said...

First come first serve. You had every right to those diapers on the self.

FrugalMaman said...

I can't believe she would begrudge you of the diapers with your bay right there! I too hate confrontation, but nevertheless have a temper at times. I'm sure I would have been bright red and shaking with anger. It's not so much getting the deal or not getting it, but the way she was completely out of line and out of control! Why is it that some people feel that they deserve everything in life and that rules don't apply to them? So selfish!