Here is the recipe for the filling. I always have free or nearly free chocolate cake mixes on hand, so this is a pretty cheap treat!
Surprise Cupcake Filling
1 - 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
1 - Egg
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup Chocolate Chips (have a bunch of htese in my pantry from when they were on sale last November)
In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Make your cake mix as usual (unless you're super mommy and make cakes from scratch - good for you!!)
- Prepare cupcake tins as usual
- Pour cake batter only half full in each cupcake liner.
- Add a spoonful of cream cheese mixture
- Cover cupcakes with the remaining batter and bake as usual!