Welcome to our blog Fabulessly Frugal! You too can be FABULOUSLY FRUGAL with out breaking the bank!

WE'VE MOVED! Come on over to FABULESSLYFRUGAL.COM and see our "NEW LOOK! and resubscribe to our new feed!

Newbie? Check out our couponing basics. Come back often to see the latest printable coupons, freebies, coupon tips and frugal living tips! Got something to say? Leave us a comment! Lastly, subscribe via RSS or Email to get the latest updates! We are located in Boise, Idaho, and blog about stores found in the Northwest and Nationally!

Friday, July 3, 2009

FABULESSLY FRUGAL FRIDAY: Summer Food (almost) Frugal Style!


So we're one month in to the kids being home.

All.
Day.
Long.


It's finally starting to feel like summer around here. And I've been craving those yummy summer tastes such as corn on the cob, fresh garden tomatoes, cucumbers, and watermelon.

So I decided to browse through my del.icio.us account to remind myself of some great recipes I bookmarked LAST summer. My mouth waters as we speak I type.

Check out this delish recipe for Watermelon Slush. I love the whole idea of cutting up your watermelon, freezing it, and then blending it the next day for a fab slushy!

I have a few favorite websites for recipes. Over at Picky Palate, Jenny shared some good Summer Snacks - Pizza roll ups are especially great for lunchtime. Much better than PB&J! I also love all the great ideas she has to use with Graham Crackers! Do you still have some of those in your stockpile? Aren't those pretty?

Speaking of lunch, you must be stocked up on BBQ sauce and Deli Meat right? Here is Real Mom Kitchen's variation of a variation of a Kraft Recipe, called Hula Melts. Yum... mouth still watering here! (these things were a hit at my house!)


Amy of at The Mother Load posted this interesting variation on making Corn on the Cob. She swears by it. I tried it and thought it was great. No need for rolling it in the butter now! It's go-oo-od!

I am also loving grilling season. Lucky for me, our back patio is covered, so you'll find me grilling on all those rainy days we had in June too! This recipe was one from my freezer meal group. These burgers were sooo good! I topped mine with tomato and avocado. Man, I should have taken a picture!

Here is the recipe, along with the conversion if you're doing it for six families (shown in parenthesis). Kearna did this one last time, and put the patties between parchment (or was it wax?) paper. It made for quick and easy separation when it came time to grill! These suckers were yummy!


Turner Burgers X6

2 lbs hamburger (12 lbs hamburger)

2 tsp. garlic powder (12 tsp. garlic powder)

1 c bread crumbs ( 6 cups bread crumbs)

½ c ketchup (3 cups ketchup)

½ tsp salt (3 tsp. salt)

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (12 tsp. Worcestershire sauce)

2 tsp. onion powder (12 tsp. onion powder )

2 eggs (12 eggs)

1 tsp pepper (1 tsp. pepper)

Mush together with clean hands and form into patties. Grill to perfection!


And lastly, a few of my fave desserts:

I love this website called Make and Takes - she has a slew of great ideas of things to do with your kidlets! She also recently posted a FABULESS recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie! Doesn't this look scrumptious?

OK, so this next one isn't frugal at all. It can get pretty pricey actually, but man is it good! Don't you just LOVE homemade ice cream??

Here are two different variations:

Ice cream in a Bag. We did this before at Girls Camp, and I've done it at a family reunion as well. This is a fun activity to do together! And the ingredients are simple. You most likely have everything in your pantry!

And lastly, one of my fave homemade ice creams we made last year... a LOT!

Vanilla Ice Cream
Beat:
3 eggs
1 quart ½ and ½
1 quart of whipping cream

Mix in ¾ cup white sugar and ¾ cup brown sugar
1 tsp. Salt
2 ¼ Tbs. Vanilla

Prepare as usual!

ONE LAST ONE that I just recently found... Do you LOVE a Wendy's Frosty ? Here is a home made version thanks to Amy over at The Mother Load, that doesn't even use ice cream! How does this sound for fabuLESS frugalness??
**water, nonfat dry milk powder, sugar, unsweetened cocoa, ice, and canola oil and non-stick spray (sounds weird, but it's needed!)

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TOMORROW!!


0 comments: